Literacy Narrative Final

Kendry Ortiz

Professor Ewan

FIQWS

4 march 2019

Literary narrative of School for Good and Evil and my literacy endeavors

One of the books that always kept me interested was School for Good and Evil because of the genre of fantasy.I’m a major fantasy geek because of the way most author write their stories.Many of the books I have read made me think of the true meaning of the reading.I have had a lot of trouble throughout my life with writing because I was never really good at it but I’m interested in it because I enjoy using my creativity.I also had a bunch obstacles I had to go Through to at least find a way to improve my writing.

In Soman Chainani’s School for Good and Evil which is a fictional novel where two girls named Sophie and Agatha who are best friends wish to be whisked away by the school master of the ever magical school for good and evil which is a school were ordinary students get trained to be the good or bad guys of the fairy tales they have read when they were children.Agatha is not like Sophie, Sophie is like the princesses in the stories,she likes to maintain her image and cares about what people think of her,she likes to wear dresses and is liked by all.While Agatha cares little to none of what people got to say about her,she doesn’t even bat an eye when people call her a witch,she usually wears black in contrast to Sophie. Agatha and Sophie don’t have that much in common.They seem to be the exact opposite of each other.Well their wish came true one night and the school master kidnapped the children as they were sleeping and Agatha and Sophie made it to the school that they wished for but,not everything that they planned happened how they wanted it to happen.Sophie was dropped on the bad side while Agatha was dropped on the good side but, their appearances don’t match the side they were in as a result they initially got looks from the people around them and in the beginning both were really confused why they have been put in the side they didn’t want to be in.

As more time passed the two friends became more and more distant to each other and Sophie became more and more jealous of Agatha because of how good she has it.She thinks Agatha stole her would be life she thinks she deserves what Agatha got.She has become angry at her best friend and now will try to betray her and make her lose everything she has.Sophie has become evil and desperate and has become a witch and will stop at nothing to hurt her ex friend.

After a bit confrontation between the two Sophie gets wounded by the very spell she casted and as her last word she says “I love you” to Agatha and then shimmering light shines and they disappear. I love this book in its entirety and have read it four times I have never gotten bored of it and as I read it I picked up my own interpretation from it is that looks can be deceiving because Agatha and Sophie looked nothing like the others in their sides.They also acted the opposite to each sides standards Agatha was more dark and mysterious and not princess. while Sophie looked and acted the part of the princess until the end where they both transformed into things they didn’t want to become. There were a lot of things the two main characters did that  contributed to my interpretation through their actions most of which were shown negatively. Sophie who instead of being happy for her friend she got jealous and acted rash and stabbed her friend in the back and Agatha was doing her best to continue being friends with Sophie. I read this book around the time where I struggled in writing

When I was a bit smaller with a much more feeble mind I had a lot of hardships during the beginning of the part of my life that had to do with writing because I didn’t know why but I was always horrible at writing.When it came to it I was always stumped when writing essays and even the simplest thing like a paragraph that harbored my thoughts while simultaneously making sense to the point where someone could understand what I was trying to say.I like to think that me struggling was just a phase back when I was younger I usually never asked for help when writing my essays which looking back at it now I should’ve asked more often considering it would have benefited me more if I did.

I got a bunch of help through the years in my early development of writing from my teachers to get where I am today.I also was in ESL which was a program where bilingual students most of which spoke spanish as their first language got help to speak,read and write better in english I had one teacher that really helped us kids really develop her name was Christa and for most of elementary she was a really big help in ESL.She would often interact with us and push us to do better, she made us read books and always told us to strive for higher reading level books.There was no problem when I was an ESL student I never felt stupid  to be in the program and learn how to read or write better in english it benefited when I had state tests they would always give me extra time when taking them so that was good for me.Most of those tests were never a problem for me until I got up to the essay part of the test that was always the part I struggled most.If it was an essay about a passage I couldn’t ever organize my words because I always had a thought of what I wanted to write but when I wrote it never went out the way I wanted it to.I had other people who have helped

My parents were also a big support because since they always told me if you are able to be multilingual you will be able to be paid a lot of  money since I would be able to translate and read things that aren’t english.So that was one reason why I pushed myself to work hard so I can make a lot of money and be able to take care of the people that I love.So I was thinking mostly about my family whenever I struggled with those test and the only thing I thought about was them.

Now as I’m in highschool I feel that I have gone a long way from before however, I feel like I still have a long ways to go I need help on writing.I was able to work through writing  when I was younger while I knew that in the future I have to write papers that would be may be ten to twenty pages so I felt that I would do myself injustice if I don’t admit it that I still need help because I feel that writing would be the thing that will drag me down in college.

So I’m trying to change my style and as Prof.Ewan said to control my writing I really help on that I thought I understood what he said but when I got home started writing this narrative I found it hard because I didn’t know exactly how to the control my writing which I’m probably

making the same mistake here.What he told me has become a new experience I feel that I will really have to be committed to improving my writing.