Reflection Expository Essay

Kendry Ortiz

Professor Ewan

FIQWS

April 13 2019

Reflection: Expository Essay

When professor Ewan gave us this assignment, most of us thought it was gonna be a piece of cake well at least that’s what I thought. One of the many requirement that had to be on the assignment was research, we had to research many sources that were useful to our thesis question that we had to come up with for this assignment. I thought the topic was interesting because it tied what we learned about puppets this whole semester. I mostly researched the whole time when building the expository essay. My thesis question was, what are the effects of puppetry on the learning capacity of children in early education? At first I had to admit it wasn’t the easiest to try and find information on my topic. I have to thank professor Ewan for the library visit since they helped us understand how to look up information on databases. I initially looked for sources that talked about puppets in early education and found some of the benefits that puppetry brings.

However, I was still struggling with the whole citing part of the assignment I couldn’t figure out how to put it all together even after looking at The Norton Field Guide To Writing a bunch a times. Eventually I was able to cite correctly and find pretty good sources to go with them, I had to pull some o the sources I put in my first proposal that I thought I was going to use but didn’t. While writing the essay I approached it by following how professor Ewan wanted it to be written. Approaching it wasn’t as successful at first because my ideas were scattered around and some didn’t fit with one another. I wrote mostly A to Z which didn’t help my case in formulating a good essay. My first copy of my essay had many mistakes and hardly made sense but, thanks to my peer because without them I wouldn’t have seen any of those mistakes and I would have given professor Ewan a bad paper.

I think my recap of the information I gathered in my conclusion was good maybe it could have been worked on a bit more and have more emphasis added to recap it better. All the information I gathered helped with answering my thesis question in its entirety by listing examples of the ways puppetry effects early education. I feel that even though I had a bunch of problems with this essay I did well and was able to answer my burning thesis question.

When giving my essay to professor Ewan I mistakenly had the wrong way of citing which made me redo the format of the essay. My annotated bibliography was fine on its own but still needed the worked on citation to make it complete without getting points off.

I adopted most of the suggestions my peer wrote about my essay for example rewording some of my sentences and explaining more of my ideas. The information I chose sometimes never are connected to the point I was trying to make. Most of my sources helped me find out the answer to my thesis question. Most of my points were connected to the information but was still lacking some emphasis. As I came across more and more mistakes I thought to myself why don’t I proofread this in order to see if there wasn’t no more mistakes. On the expository essay I spent around five hours and thirty nine minutes writing it and making it look as good as possible .

In those five hours and thirty nine minutes I really gave a lot of thought to what I wanted to say while not having my sentences ramble on and making them less understandable. In the writing it shows that have looked into my topic thoroughly and chose the best quotes from my sources to answer my question. I found that the effects puppetry has on early education is that they help the child expand their minds and helps them recall what they have learned through the lesson. Also that it can help their social skills with one another. The puppets used in the classes showed that puppets are useful when children interact with them.  Even though I think that my writing has improved a little I still think that I could have made more improvements.