Reflection: Argument

Kendry Ortiz

Professor Ewan

FIQWS

April 30 2019

Reflection: Argument

When professor Ewan gave us the assignment of the argument essay I didn’t know what to think because I’m really bad at argumentative essays. When I heard what the topic was for the essay I didn’t think it was going to be hard to come up with points in order to convey my side of the argument that I support. We were supposed to make our claim of the topic we chose I chose the increase of positive representation if minorities in the film industry. So after making my claim I set out to find research in the databases I searched far and wide and it was a bit difficult because I had to find recent articles that talked about the topic. I found an article about Ken Jeong which he was a primary source of what it felt like to be a minority in the film industry.

I had to put a lot of thought into how I wanted my points to make persuasive language in order to make my essay a lot stronger. I still had a problem because I was searching for a way to connect my explanation back to my claim so I had to collect my thoughts and really think hard on what I wanted to say and really explain as hard as I could. I often thought to hard and had to trace back on what I intended to write. The way I started to introduce the introduction of my argumentative essay and I was thoroughly firm in creating my body paragraphs where I ended up using classical oration method and I ended up using most of the suggested way of making the argumentative essay. There were still some grammar mistakes that I could have prevented if I was more vigilant of the way I writing. I believe that I was typing fast and not looking at what I was writing. There was more places where I could have strengthen my writing if I were to strengthen my writing more I would say that I could have made my points better.

The more I wrote about the topic the more I was able to understand it. I had a better thought on what I wanted to do for the essay the more I thought on how the topic was understandable and easily which helped me get a clearer view on how I could make my writing convey my points and I was able to clearly share my views on paper. The more I dwindled on the idea of making my essay better the ones I made bef8ore and ultimately I feared a bad grade since this was one of our last assignments we will have in professor Ewan’s class. This time around the peer review was helpful because my peer told me that I had many grammar mistakes which I instantly went back into my essay and I was able to find some mistakes in my writing.

I was also worried that my writing might not have improved since the last assignment. When I was reading what I wrote I was still not able to find syntax errors in my writing. I feel that I wrote better clearer than I ever did and I cared about how well I made my points come across.

When I was almost done with my essay I was trying to tie it all up in the conclusion and I was still confused on how even though I looked at the method I chose and I was not really hitting all the points that I was trying to make and strayed off the path of what it should actually look like.

I want to thank my peer because they helped me think of ways on how I could make my essay better and convey the point I was trying to make. I also found this assignment more enjoyable and I think that I actually was making a better effort than I did before since I actually made sense in my writing and clearly portrayed the message I was supposed to make. I really like the topic and I think I did a good job on making points for my claim and was able to demonstrate it.

So the whole time I have been really struggling on writing this reflection because I was having trouble with answering the questions that were brought up in the paper professor Ewan gave us. I had to reread the paper in order to start to understand what I was supposed to do. I eventually was able to think what I wanted to write and I gathered my thoughts on it and reflected back on how I was doing on the argument. I noticed that during the process of making the argument I didn’t really pay attention to grammar and literally made writing it hard on myself since I waited a while to even start doing it. When I did start I began feeling confident in myself because we were given notes and even packets that were about arguments.

When making the argumentative essay I often had to look back at NFG since it has a part in the book that talks about structuring one. So after finding myself in the book I looked at confidence was starting to build inside so I was starting to feel myself and I was writing more coordinated and my argument was starting to look good to me. So when I eventually finished my essay I was tripled because I felt I wrote everything that I wanted to address when writing the essay. While in my conclusion I messed up on not putting what the article wanted me to write in it.